Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Halftime

Its the halfway point of paternity leave. One month in and there have been no emergency room visits, I'm not on any lists with the state and this morning the doctor confirmed that Abigail is still alive. Big victories all around.

That may seem like a low bar. Not for me! Even if it is, theres something to be said for being the best mediocre stay at home dad. When I began my leave I had goals. Bond with Abigail.Catch up on work. Read. Folly. My new goals better reflect reality. Keep Abigail alive. Try and take a shower every two days. Eat a sandwich when given the opportunity.

Thankfully for Abby, the next month will go better than the last. Its not that I'm getting the hang of this stay at home thing. Its absolutely not that. Abigail is getting easier to manage. Marys nighttime voodoo has her sleeping 8 hours a night. If I can get at least 6 hours of sleep we both cry a lot less during the day.  

Her development over the last month has been amazing. A month ago it didnt matter who was there . My presence didn't matter ,not anymore than anyone else. I was changing and feeding her because I'm her Dad and I love her, but as far as she was concerned I was an indistinguishable, scruffy blur.  That's beginning to change. She's cooing more and threatening me less. She recognizes my voice and face. Yesterday she started smiling for the first time.

That smile. All I've done today is try and make her smile. Faces. Voices. Peek a boo. Just one more smile kid. One more and I'll stop bugging you. You spit up on me twenty minutes ago, its the least you can do.

Good lord those cheeks

No comments: