Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sleep Magic, Night Talks

Mary has instituted a nighttime regime that when properly followed results in Abby sleeping for five or six hours at time. Marys Full Tank Program involves cluster feedings, no nonsense changings when she wakes up at night and I assume some sort of black magic.

In addition to her normal feedings, Mary tops the tank off at 5:30 and right before bed. The last fill up must be help in complete silence, in the dark. I've never been involved in this portion of the ritual, which is probably for the best.Mary can keep her sleep spells and drugs secret. Its fine. I wont share my patented "pacing in the hallway while pleading with crying baby" trick.

Its also important to be all business when she wakes up at night. No lights. No talk. Change the diaper, feed her and put her back to bed. I run into problems at this stage. For one, I have to turn on a light. Mary can go in, change and feed her in the dark, like being pregnant gave her mole people vision. If I dont turn on the desk light Abby will have a diaper wrapped around her arm and a bottle shoved in one of her eye sockets.

The bigger problem is Abigails new found ability to talk to us. The last three or four days she's up at 3,  happy and talkative. I have to talk back. It breaks with Mary orthodoxy, I cant help it. Look at that face.I am just incapable of ignoring a sweet coo from that face.

Gooahh? I hear you. That is indeed outrageous. Ahhhool huh? Yep, totally.















Mary can get in and out at night in like 30 minutes. With talkative Abby, Im in there for an hour and half. An extra hour at 3 in the morning should be enought to get me in and out. Its not. Shes too cute.

Well played adorable baby.


Gaaaaa-oooohhh Baaaavooop. Translation: You're my puppet.

No comments: