Tuesday, October 25, 2011

(Quiet)

Abigail is awake more and more during in the day, which is fun. We talk, walk around the house and act out scenes from our favorite movies. Abbys a big fan final scene in Robocop. The kid does a mean ED-209 impression. Just adorable.

In order to get enjoyable awake Abby and not Tank the war machine, we need to make sure she gets her sleep.

When she's getting sleepy I'll ever so carefully carry her to the nursery, adjust my hold for the easiest crib transition (one hand behind head, one hand on body) put her down then stand silently next to her crib and pray the sleep holds. Its tense. If I don't wait five minutes the floor will wake her up as I sneak away. I hate that damn floor. Hate.

The first week we had her home I snuck in roughly 50 times a night to confirm she was still breathing. If she was so quiet I couldn't hear breathing I'd hold a finger under her nose to confirm baby breath.  The finger under the nose trick was not ideal, it often woke her up. I couldn't find a wee mirror to hold under her nose so I improvised.
I assure you, Im just sleeping.


















I'm getting better. I no longer wake her up to check if shes breathing. Progress!

Unfortunately, silence following an extended fit still freaks me out. Abigail raged at the world for the better part of Sunday morning. When she finally went down, she was out cold. It was unsettling. How could she go from Hulk angry to completely silent just like that? Shouldn't she be fussing a bit? Am I just being paranoid? Should I go check? I'll go check.

I snuck upstairs and was immediately betrayed by that damn floor. The tank was awake, the guns were firing. No one was safe. Stupid floor. Stupid stupid Dad.

1 comment:

Crafty Girl said...

do yourself a favor and buy the video camera monitor. it's awesome, and it totally prevents waking your sleeping infant in a creaky old piece of crap house. GET ONE!