Friday, October 7, 2011

Hospital theft and Target runs

Abigail was in neonatal intensive care for five weeks. That is a lot of care. Intensive care even.  I'm looking forward to seeing that bill.It's not that I'm worried for our financial well being.  I have amazing insurance, it wont cost us much out of pocket. My hope is that I can use the ridiculous amount the hospital charges as leverage against Abby.

"Oh, you don't want to sleep? You want to keep crying? You know, that's not really how I expect a $200,000 baby to act. Harrumph harrumph"

When we finally checked out, we grabbed anything that wasn't glued down. Bottles. Diapers. Pacifiers.  If it wasn't for the nurse right by the door I'd have a nice new mini fridge in the basement.

Our supply of ill-gotten bottle nipples ran out last night. This was a problem. We have other nipples at the house, just not any Abby liked. She just couldn't get anything out of them. As a result, I made my first emergency target run.

The bottle aisle at Target is intimidating. I have no idea what any of this stuff means. Whats the difference between three drops on the label vs two drops? Why does this one have two drops and a baby thumbs up? Vacu-speed bottles? Bottle bags? Aerodynamic speed bottles with laser sights? This is all overwhelming.

Apparently I wasn't the only one in this predicament. It was 8:45 pm and there were two other men wearing the same look of confused terror. Picking up boxes, reading the side, putting the boxes down then sighing heavily or weeping softly. At one point a mom zipped in between us, looked at us with pity and got the hell out.

I ended up buying one of everything (only a slight exaggeration) and heading home. We found a combination that worked and the night was saved.

This is going to be hard.

This giant bottle is working. Huzzah!

No comments: